Bethany College was founded March 2, 1840, by Alexander Campbell, whose vision of a restored church included an informed and reasonable faith on matters pertaining to the Bible and a moral life.
Since its founding, Bethany has been a four-year private liberal arts college affiliated with the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ). Bethany is proud of its relationship to the church and offers opportunities such as the Oreon E. Scott Lectures for the strengthening of church leaders.
Oreon E. Scott graduated summa cum laude from Bethany College in 1892. He received his bachelor of laws degree from the University of Michigan in 1894. Later, Mr. Scott was elected a trustee of Bethany College. His service to the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) included charter membership of the Pension Fund, membership on the executive committee of the National Benevolent Association, president and chairman of the Christian Board of Publication and president of the board of trustees of the National City Christian Church.
The Oreon E. Scott Foundation was established to strengthen the church and continues its support at other Disciples-related colleges and institutions.
We are grateful for the continued support provided by the foundation for the Oreon E. Scott Lectures.