It was here that eight Bethany College students first met in the fall of 1858 to found Delta Tau Delta, a social fraternity. The students were Jacob S. Lowe, Richard H. Alfred, Henry K. Bell, William R. Cunningham, Alexander C. Earle, John L. N. Hunt, John C. Johnson, and Eugene Tarr.
The Bethany group was the principal undergraduate chapter from 1859-61. After the Civil War, the chapter returned to Bethany in 1867, but financial difficulties caused the National Fraternity to revoke the charter. The chapter returned to Bethany in 1965.
The house is one of approximately 16 extant structures in the Bethany Historic District built prior to the 1860s. The restored structure was dedicated on April 23, 1978.
In addition to being the founding house of Delta Tau Delta, during the course of its history, the house has served as a private residence, a boarding house, a teahouse, a display area for Delta Tau Delta national fraternity, and the office of the Heritage Resource Center (later named Historic Bethany).