The town of Bethany, population 1,000, including students of Bethany College, is located in the northern panhandle of West Virginia.
A designated Historic District, the town was incorporated in 1853, although the first recorded settlement was by Isaac Williams in 1769.
In the Bethany area and on the Bethany College campus are two National Historical Landmarks: Old Main, centerpiece of the campus; and the Alexander Campbell Mansion, home of Bethany College's founder. Though small in size, the town of Bethany has five sites listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Campbell gave the town its name in 1827 so that it would be granted a post office. He served as the first postmaster. In 1840, Campbell founded Bethany College, providing land and funds for the first building and serving as the College's first president.
Today, the town includes churches, businesses, community organizations, an artists' gallery, a community recreation association and educational opportunities for all ages. Long-time businesses include Chambers General Store and the College Inn.