Please visit our new athletics website,

Bethany Field Hockey Beats Transylvania in OT for First Win

Sept. 9 - BETHANY, W.Va. – Freshman Kaitlin Perch (Hackettstown, N.J.) scored the game-winning goal in overtime, as the Bethany College field hockey team won its first game since returning to varsity status with a 2-1 victory over Transylvania (Ky.) University Sunday morning in the consolation game of the Frostburg State Tournament.

The triumph for head coach Stephanie Bernthal and the Bison was the program’s first since their last varsity season in 1989. Bethany’s final victory before today was a 3-1 triumph over Chatham on Oct. 27, 1989.

Bethany would have to come from behind in this game, as the Pioneers (0-4) scored their only goal midway through the first half. Bison freshman goalie Jacqueline Harrison (Massapequa Park, N.Y./Massapequa) made one save, but the rebound caromed out to Faye Katz, who scored for a 1-0 Transy lead with more than 12 minutes left in the first half.

The Pioneers were threatening for much of the first half and posted a 16-6 shot advantage before halftime. But Harrison made five saves to keep the deficit at one goal heading into the second half.

The second half opened with BC firing off the first three shots and the Green and White continued to press for scoring chances. With just under 11 minutes gone in the second half, Bethany struck for the equalizer. Freshman Taylor Solomon (Beltsville, Md./Elizabeth Seton) scored off an assist from freshman Courtney Gill (Little Egg Harbor, N.J./Pinelands Regional) and the game was tied at 1-1. It was the third goal of the season for Solomon and the third point for Gill, who also had a goal in Thursday’s game with Washington & Jefferson.

The Bison would have to fend off Transy in the closing minutes to send the game to overtime. The Pioneers had three penalty corners in the final five minutes, including two with less than a minute to play. But the BC defense clamped down and didn’t allow Transy to get a shot off, which sent the game into extra time.

The Pioneers controlled the tempo in the overtime session, firing off nine shots. Harrison stood tall in net, making four stops to keep the game going and allow the Green and White to try to find their opportunity. That came when after Transy shot went wide, Bethany came back in transition. Perch was able to get loose in front of the goal and scored the game winner to push the Bison record to 1-4 for the season.

Harrison was outstanding between the pipes for Bethany, making 16 saves for the game. The Bison attack also generated a season-high 16 shots, including 12 on net. Perch led the way with seven, while Solomon fired five and Gill had four.

Bethany will get to savor the victory for a little while before returning to action. The Bison are off until Sept. 22nd when they host Centre (Ky.) College at Bison Stadium for a 1 p.m. start time.