Albert R. Buckelew, Jr. Ph.D.
Dr. Buckelew spent 42 years as professor of biology at Bethany College, retiring in June 2011. He published numerous papers on bacterial toxins, lipids, human pulmonary surfactant, and birds.
Dr. Buckelew codirected the first West Virginia breeding bird atlas project and was the author, with WVU’s George A. Hall, of The West Virginia Breeding Bird Atlas in 1992. He is immediate past-president of the Brooks Bird Club.
Dr. Buckelew edited the Brooks Bird Club’s journal, The Redstart, for 39 years. Presently he is writing the foreword and five species accounts for the Second West Virginia Breeding Bird Atlas to be published in 2020.
His father gave him his dental school microscope when he was about 11 years old, and he used it to explore the microscopic world around him. He became especially interested in birds during a canoe trip down the Allagash River in Maine in 1968.
Post-doctoral studies, University of New Hampshire
Ph.D., University of New Hampshire
B.S., Fairleigh Dickinson University
Areas of Passion & Research
Microbiology, Field Botany, and Ornithology
Family, photography, reading, bird watching, and travel to National Parks.
- Friends of the Schrader Environmental Education Center in Wheeling,
- The Brooks Bird Club
- Member of the Bethany Sanitation Board
- Buckelew, A. R., Jr. (editor). 1990. Endangered and Threatened Species in West Virginia.
Special Publication No. 2 of the Brooks Bird Club.
- Buckelew, A. R., Jr. and G. A. Hall. 1994. The West Virginia Breeding Bird Atlas.
University of Pittsburgh Press.
- Buckelew, A. R., Jr., and G. Colacicco. 1970. Surface properties of staphylococcal alpha toxin.
Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 233: 7-16.
- Colacicco, G., and A. R. Buckelew Jr. 1971. Lipid monolayers: Interaction with staphylococcal
alpha toxin. Lipids 6: 546-553.
- Buckelew, A. R., Jr., A. Chakravarti, W. R. Burge, W. M. Thomas, Jr., and M. Ikawa. 1972.
Sensitivity of Bacillus megaterium spores to mycotoxins and coumarins. J. Agricultural
and Food Chem. 20: 431-433.
- Colacicco, G., A. R. Buckelew Jr., and E. M. Scarpelli. 1973. Protein and lipid-protein fractions
of lung washings: Chemical characterization. J. Appl. Physiol. 34: 743-749.
- Colacicco, G., A. R. Buckelew Jr., and E. Scarpelli. 1974. Lipid monolayers: Surface viscosity of
Dipalmitoyl lecithin in relation to surface potential and ion binding . J. Colloid and
Interface Chem. 46: 147-151.
- Buckelew, A. R., Jr. 1976. Birds of the West Virginia Northern Panhandle. The Redstart 43: 90-
- Colacicco, G., A. K. Ray, H. R. Hendrickson, A. R. Buckelew Jr., and E. Scarpelli. 1976.
Isolation of IgA from a lung surfactant fraction. Prep. Biochemistry 6: 443-477.
- Colacicco, G., M. M. Basu, A. R. Buckelew Jr., and A. W. Bernheimer. 1977. Surface
properties of membrane systems: Transport of staphylococcal delta-toxin from aqueous to
membrane phase. Biochim. et Biophys. Acta 465: 378-390.
- Colacicco, G., A. Ray, and A. R. Buckelew Jr. 1977. Pulmonary surfactant:
Distribution of lipids, proteins and surface activity in ultra-centrifugation of rabbit
pulmonary washing and derived fractions. Lipids 12: 879-888.
- Sandercox, A. and A. R. Buckelew Jr. 1983. An Unusual Nest Site and diet of Barn
Owls in Bethany, West Virginia. The Redstart 50: 82-84.
- Buckelew, A. R., Jr., and E. E. Hutton Jr. 1984. Olive-sided Flycatcher and habitat study
at Glade Run Swamp. The Redstart 51: 27-30.
- Buckelew, A. R., Jr., E. E. Hutton Jr., and T. Allen. 1986. Mountaintop buildings: Hazards for
migrating birds. The Redstart 53: 124-130.
- Buckelew, A. R., Jr. 1990. A new site for Running Buffalo Clover (Trifolium stoloniferum) in
West Virginia. The Redstart 57: 29-30.
- Buckelew, A. R., Jr. 1991. Recent Northern Goshawk breeding records from the West
Virginia highlands. The Redstart 58: 74-75.
- Hull, J. H. and A. R. Buckelew, Jr. 2001. Group Anting in the Common Grackle. The Redstart
- Buckelew, A. R. Jr. 2009. George A. Hall: A lifetime dedicated to birds. The Wilson Journal of
Ornithology 121(3): 656-657.
- Buckelew, A. R. Jr. 2007. History of the Brooks Bird Club, Inc. 1932-2007. Wheeling, WV: The
Brooks Bird Club.
- Buckelew, A. R. Jr. 2008. Seventy-five Years of Redstarts. The Redstart 75(4): 152-154.
Author of many other short articles published in The Redstart and other journals and papers offered at the West Virginia Academy of Science, Federated Biology Societies, the American Society for Microbiology, and other scientific meetings.