Christman Manor at Pendleton Heights
Situated on a hilltop overlooking the scenic vistas of Bethany College, Christman Manor at Pendleton Heights is the oldest building on the College’s campus. Christman Manor at Pendleton Heights has been home to Bethany College Presidents and faculty, serving as a welcome venue for dignitaries such as U.S. Presidents, Governors, and Congressman.
Constructed between 1841 and 1842, Christman Manor at Pendleton Heights was the home of Bethany’s second president William Kimbrough Pendleton (1817-1899). Pendleton is given credit for the designs and plans for Pendleton Heights. During the Civil War years, Christman Manor at Pendleton Heights served as a stop on the Underground Railroad. The structure had Gothic architectural additions made in 1872, which gave the residence similar details to that of the Old Main structure. The residence also underwent its first renovation in 1872. These renovations included lightning rods, a slate roof, and new bay windows.
Upon the retirement of William Pendleton in 1887, an agreement was reached for the college to purchase the home. From 1887 to 1889, Christman Manor at Pendleton Heights served as a boarding house for ladies as well as a home for the president and faculty. Throughout the 20th Century, Christman Manor at Pendleton Heights was the traditional home of Bethany's presidents. By 2002, Christman Manor at Pendleton Heights was in need of much repair. From 2002 until late 2007, the College's Presidents resided at Hibernia, located two blocks from campus on Main Street.
Private funding and a grant provided for extensive renovation of the 9,340 square foot, 20-room historical residence in 2007. On Dec. 28, 2007, Dr. Scott D. Miller and his family became the first presidential family to call Christman Manor at Pendleton Heights home, since D. Duane Cummins, the 16th president of Bethany College.