The town of Bethany, West Virginia, is steeped in local history and is an important dimension of Bethany College.
Originally settled in 1769, Bethany had been inhabited by the Mingo and Shawnee nations. The Town of Bethany was given its name by the founder of Bethany College, Alexander Campbell, in 1827 so that a post office could be located here. Campbell then became Bethany’s first postmaster.
When West Virginia received statehood in 1863, Bethany College was its only degree-granting institution in higher education and is the oldest institution of higher learning in the Mountain State.
Campbell’s home, plantation, family cemetery, a substantial portion of Campbell’s private library and many 19th century documents were given to the college for preservation and use. Today, the Bethany Historic District is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Historic Bethany has five sites listed in the National Register of Historic Places:
Tours of the DCHS & Historic Bethany sites, by appointment:
Archivist for Disciples of Christ Historical Society
31 E Campus Drive
Bethany, WV 26032
Bethany College Archival Research, by appointment:
Bethany College Archives & Special Collections